SS Nomadic is a former tender of the White Star Line, launched on 25 April 1911 in Belfast now on display in Belfast’s Titanic Quarter. She was built to transfer passengers and mail to and from RMS Olympic and RMS Titanic. She is the only surviving vessel designed by Thomas Andrews who also designed those two ocean liners, and the only White Star Line vessel in existence today.
She and her running mate SS Traffic ferried passengers, their baggage, mail and ship’s supplies to and from large ocean liners moored offshore as they were too large to enter some of the ports.
The ship is 230 feet (70 m) long overall and 37 feet (11 m) wide, with a gross registered tonnage of 1,273 tons. Propulsion was provided by two single-ended coal-fired boilers and two compound steam engines, each driving two triple-bladed propellers of 7 feet (2.1 m) in diameter, which gave a service speed of 12 knots (14 mph; 22 km/h).
Nomadic is of steel construction, with steel frames, beams, bulkheads and riveted hull plating. She had four working decks with various hold spaces beneath. She could carry up to 1,000 passengers when fully loaded.
Passenger accommodation consisted of lower and upper deck passenger lounges and open deck areas on the bridge and flying bridge decks. The vessel was divided into first and second class passenger areas, with first class passengers enjoying the fore areas of the ship. A small area in the aft end of the lower deck was assigned for overspill of third-class passengers from SS Traffic.
Internally, Nomadic was fitted out to a similar standard as the liners Olympic and Titanic, which she was built to serve. As such, she had more luxuries than most tenders of her day, with cushioned benches, tables, porcelain water fountains, sex-specific bathrooms and a buffet bar. She contained ornate decorative joinery and plasterwork, particularly in the first class lounges of the ship.
Nomadic was built in the United Kingdom, but as she was operated in French coastal waters by a French crew, she had a number of peculiarities, such as imperial and metric draft marks on opposing sides of the hull.
Starting here, you will see the Titanic Building, Titanic Slipways, Titanic Hotel and signifies to start of the Titanic story. Gateway to the Harland & Wolf dock area of where the ill-fated liner was designed (drawing office’s are now part of the Titanic Hotel) built and launched in the early 1900’s.
From here you can take the tour in the Titanic Building and see the famous staircase or go for High Tea or a Cocktail in the Titanic Hotel. Then onto the slipways and down to the dry dock and HMS Caroline.